Sunday, November 11, 2007

Enter: Tharman

He finally came on 9th Nov. Nope he did not have too heavy a meal during Deepavali to upset his stomach. So no diarrhoea and he came a healthy man. Tall, dark and shiny (I'm referring to his head). I was expecting a huge entourage but in the end, it was just him cladded in a long sleeved shirt without a tie (picture below is for illustration purpose only), and only his secretary flanked him, followed by the school management team. And not forgetting the 2 police officers who were at the school foyer, making sure that nothing sharp is lying on the ground to deflate the Minister's car tyres. -_-"

Amazingly, he had the time to enter all the classrooms where the shows were being put up. Without fail, he would first ask the teacher what he/she was doing with the class. Next he went around mingling with the pupils, asking them what they were doing and whether they knew what they were doing. It was as if he was trying to check on the teachers through the pupils! All of us were shocked and yet a little impressed too.

Anyway, for that brief 5 minutes inside the classroom, we all had put in countless hours in preparation and 'rehearsals'. Sad to say that my kids and I were part of this 'scam'.

Then comes the dialogue session with the man himself. Certain issues were raised by my colleagues and as expected, he could not give a committed answer but he did try his best to sort of 'defend' or like they say, 'clarify' some of the Ministry's policies.

Overall, I don't really find him approachable. He gave me the impression that he's checking around on us. I don't know, maybe I'm too cynical and skeptical. He probably knew that that was a show that he must attend and put up just like the rest of the school. I wonder how much money was spent in refurbishing the school just for his Majesty to pop by. -_-"

No comments:

Post a Comment