Sunday, August 06, 2006

Asserting their "Rights"

A coffee talk over Israel, Lebanon, Indonesia and Singapore.

To the Israelis, they are asserting their "rights". Their right to wallop their neighbour because their neighbour did not discipline their kids properly. It's really "amazing" to see how the Israeli army had managed to push through over 130km into Lebanon without a single resistance from the Lebanese Army. I mean, doesn't Lebanon has her own regular armed forces? Why are they leaving things to fate by entrusting their "defence" to the militant guerilla Hizbollah? I'm not a war propagandist but it just puzzles me to see an extremist group, instead of a professional army fending off invaders.


To the Indonesian Jihadist, they are asserting their "rights" too. Their right to want to join in (other) people's fightings because they are against that fighting. And if they are so true to their "righteous" call, why do they need to hide behind masks? I thought they had learned magical spells to defend themselves (and maybe cloud their faces with an opaque aura?).

To Singapore, we are also asserting our "rights". The right to declare to the whole world, our stand in this fighting (as if the world is listening). Everytime our government makes a public condemnation of certain acts, I wonder if any official document or statement is being issued to the related parties (and probably Cc to the White House). If not, what is the point of it? It sounded more like a busybody or an outcast who is anxiously trying to get accepted into the mainstream gang or clique.

If that's really the case, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is sure one busy ministry. I think I can hear them sing this song again ...
"We are the World... We are the Children .... "

No comments:

Post a Comment