Thursday, January 31, 2008

2nd Onlooking...

Mr Onlooker is back... briefly.

The first month of 2008 has been nothing but hell. Work-life balance has lost its equilibrium the moment I stepped back into this new school year. This year (or shall I say this month) hasn't been like previous 2 years.

The almighty up there (well actually they are located at the ground level below the staff room) has decided to put me at this year's graduating level. Never mind that I'm not EL trained. Never mind that I'm still new and never mind that my subject mastery ain't quite there yet. Never mind that two of my colleagues' sons are in my class. But that's not all...

Tonnes and tonnes of never-ending worksheets came upon me like an avalanche. Syllabus is so tight and we're supposed to keep on giving tests and surprise tests and mock tests every now and then to keep these kids on their toes. Mind you, I'm just as stressed up as the kids.

On top of all these extra teaching duties, I'm saddled with other of my non-core businesses that seem to have taken priority over my core business of teaching.

Jan to Mar: Revamping of school website
Feb to May: Training up of house Track n Field atheletes
Feb to Oct: TAF time in the wee hours of dawn
Mar: Robotics Training
Mar Hols: Revision Classes
Mar to May: 27h EL Course
Mar to Jun: Action Research projects
May: Robotics Carnival
Jun hols: Revision Classes
Jun to Sep: NJRC Competition (Robotics)
Aug: Prelims
Sep Hols: Revision Classes

At the end of all these, they still want academic results (the bare minimum) and when it comes to appraisal, the above non-core businesses comes into play. Just how fair can this system be? My HOD still has the cheek to tell me that I've got no choice but to perform and treat these non-core businesses as important as teaching. They all knew I'm overloaded but they are not listening to my voices and signals.

WTF!

I came into this line to help. I would not say it is my calling but at least the passion WAS there. I can't help these kids anymore. I admit I'm not a good multi-tasker but my principle is to be focused and do a job well rather than be all over the place, giving less than a 100% to each area. In the end who is to suffer? I don't care about the stupid manipulative PB. It is these kids' future at stake!

Moulding the future of our nation. Yep, towards the wrong direction, sad to say...

This has been my worst academic year. Today is the last day of a colleague who called it quits. Another colleague has just snapped and now on long term MC. Not sure if it's an IMH MC but I'm not surprised if a place has been reserved for her.

Time to rethink, reflect and onlook over my options. 17 more months left.

How are the rest of my NIE peers doing? How many of you still have that flame of passion burning inside you? How many of you are burnt out already?

3 comments:

  1. haha well hold in there ... i am also as jialat ..some more this year gotta prove more ... bloody hell cos of one student whose mum threatened to sue the school and she never blame me for anything ... cos i was never there, they mark me down and say that i was one of the worse performing teacher ... just short of getting a D.

    so this year is going to be an uphill year for me to do a bit of string pulling and prove that certain colours are not that high and mighty. u onli get there cos u share the same skin colour.

    just be aware that we are all in the same shit lar .. did u go for the january concert again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, no. Didn't go to his Jan gig. heard that he's taking a year long break after this tour.

    Sigh...just disappointed and frustrated that this profession has evolved into this state.

    17 more months to go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, the way to treat overloading at work? - just let things slip off your shoulders...
    yeh. sure, tests everyday..skip some of them - tell them : SO WHAT?

    And if the track and field team need to practise 3 times per week "according to standard" just do one.

    The website? just leave it to rot.

    When they overload you, they are not listening to your needs. So why listen to them?

    Take this from a work veteran - hang loose. afterall - what can they do if you miss the targets? the performance evaluation? screw them.

    The job market is red hot outside-make sure they know.

    ReplyDelete