
Conflict at Work
I had an argument with one of my subject teachers of my form class yesterday. He "overloaded" my class with a very heavy homework for the weekend, leaving no room for my poor kids to take on even the smallest and simplest homework. The kids are stressed out, fully taxed and it is affecting their performances in other subjects. I highlighted my concern to him as I feel that the students are too burnt out and that other subject teachers should also be given the "space" to assign homework. The students have other subjects to juggle too.
The (defensive) reply I got was,"I am a subject teacher and has to push them for results (DUH! Who's not?! You are speaking to the form teacher!). Their exams is next Friday and for YOUR subjects are two weeks later. You should prioritize! I am angry that the kids complain through you and not to me directly! Besides, I don't give them homework on weekdays."
Despite the fact that I'm trying to drive the point that the kids are really taxed out and that as subject teachers to the class, it may be a better idea for us to at least discuss and "show our cards" to achieve some compromise in terms of the overall homework workload. Definitely overloading them (so call at the last minute before exams) ain't going to do the kids any good. Just what sort of rubbish theory of his is that?! In fact, I felt insulted when he accused me of not being able to prioritize! Come on, these kids are after all still young kids. They are of a mixed to low ability bunch of students. Just how much good can you do by pushing them so hard till they are burning out!?! Has he ever thought about the stress these kids are facing!?
To my fellow BTs who are form teachers, how would you feel?
The argument took place over the phone. Well, bad blood is certainly sown. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I have "tolerated" his nonsense quite long enough. The above argument just sparked off the blaze that the heat has been simmering in the haystack for a long long time.
After 2 days of reflecting about this incident, I still feel unjustified that he made those remarks. Although I don't like him, but neither do I like to have such "open" conflicts with people. I don't like social disequilibrium. I feel sorry for my kids too, as they will be getting his lashings on Monday.
Just got to know this saying from a Taiwanese variety show - "the more people I know, the more I love dogs". How true I feel, as human matters are so complicated. Anyway from Monday, I'm prepared for some "bad publicity", "back and front stabs" coming my way since my "nemesis" is an expert at making "small talks" with people, as compared to the quiet and soft spoken me. You know what I mean...
Feeling Disheartened
Had been reading the discussion forum for teachers on the MyForum (http://myforum.moe.gov.sg/oi/loginAction.do) and what caught my attention wwew the topics on teachers going crazy and getting into depression. Yes, it is true that more than half of the patients at IMH (aka Woodbridge) are teachers. From the numerous threads I read, I really sympathise those good and dedicated teachers out there, falling victim to the politics and stress from our Education System. A system that is unfortunately still trying to look for a clear direction. The "grouses" from the forum are not new to most of us. But why aren't these being looked into? Just how many good man and women teachers out there are we going to send to IMH?
Hello, up there (MOE-HQ)!?! Anybody home?
Bad Air plus Bad Health
As of now, the PSI reading at the top left hand corner of the TV says 143. My throat feels terrible and my nose is getting numb. I've just spent $106 on medical bills because of a severe infection of my sinus (you know its severe when the mucus from your nose turns orange and after a month the situation didn't improve) which had also caused frequent spasms of cough... and the air isn't helping.
Just what the hell is going on back there in Indonesia? Year by year Singapore and Malaysia had to put up with this "nonsense". Hasn't everybody learned their lesson for the past decade? Why aren't things (suppressing these forest fires) improving? Is Indonesia sending out some kind of protest signal to her neighbours? For goodness sake, our Earth is already struggling with the countless pollution!
My apologies to you all who are reading these. I really feel lousy today...
Make things explicit then. Put up a "Homework Board" where all subject Ts have to post the homework that is assigned to Ps each day in the week. In this way, all Ts that enter the class can see what other Ts are assigning. Ps also keep track of what homework they receiving.
ReplyDeleteWe do have a homework board, but the problem is that, that particular Tr's lessons are usually before mine, so i kinda of take the last queue number. But anyway, we have sort of "thrashed things out", so hopefully no more such incidences. *keeping my fingers crossed*
ReplyDelete