Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Hand!

Whether you take private transport or public transport (specifically buses and cabs), you may have noticed an interesting phenomenon. There is this unspoken rule that you did not learn back at driving school. Something more powerful than all the rules in the driver's handbook.

It is the Hand. Not one of those hand signals you learnt when your signal lights are down and I'm not referring to the gesticulation of an angry fist or the raising of the longest finger at anybody.

The execution is pretty simple. Firstly, you need to have your signal light turned on so as to indicate your legitimate rights to change lanes. Next wind down your window and stick out your hand. There isn't a need to wave. Strange enough, no matter how heavy the traffic jam may be, you will (90% of the time) get your deserved (not necessary well-deserved all the time) right of way.

It never fails to entertain me or shall I say, impress me when ever I see the Hand in action. Woah.... it's coming! It's ... the Hand.... I bet the other road users who saw the Hand, their mind must be saying,"Wait, is he going to...no, no... Damn! He raised the Hand. No choice, I have to give way. It's the 'CODE'!"

Not just for motorists, even for pedestrians, the Hand beats the rest hands-down! However only the more 'matured' pedestrians dare to use the Hand even though they are jay-walking or the red man is shown. Strange enough, the right of way will definitely be given. Kudos to the Hand!

Thus the next time whether you want to cross a road or caught in a jam and you want to change lane, just let the Hand do the talking. Talk to the Hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment