Monday, August 24, 2009

Over-empathy?

Is there such a thing call 'over-empathy'?

This question came to my mind when I was staring at a group of crabs, tied and cramped in a fish tank, while waiting for my takeaway zi char dinner. At first, I found them cute, looking silly and unable to move around without stepping on each other. The expression on their faces looked funny too.

Then, I began to take pity on them. Imagine myself to be like one of them, tied up, cramped and so on... and worse, waiting for death... an unnatural death to be exact. Scientists may argue that it is natural because that is how the 'modern' food chain works... anyway...

I began to feel bad for them. How can we be so cruel to animals? Then I began to think about ways to help them (yes, the wait for my zi char was quite long). Going back to basic economics, when there's demand, there'll be supply. Thus if I did not allow my demand to come in, supply should naturally decrease. Wow... how altruistic and clever!

Then I began to think about the other animals (okay, my wife's packet of zi char was ready, but mine wasn't). Chickens, ducks, pigs, cows etc.... so if I reduced my demand, I should be able to do my bid to help them. Poor animals, slaughtered just to satisfy human cravings. Dying young and unnaturally. Yes, this seemed to be THE solution.

So what do I eat then? Jiak chow (eat grass in hokkien)? Has my empathy gone beyond to over-empathy?

I've no answer to that. Anyway, the second pack of zi char was ready. Beef hor fun. Yum yum. :9

No comments:

Post a Comment