Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Are you ON or EFFICIENT?

Or are they the same?

Is it a thin line that separates the meanings of these two words? Or would you like to consider their contexts first? If you are an employer, which type of employee will you prefer?

The past 7 months in school have earned X (a fellow newbie) and myself two different 'labels'. X is 'ON' while I'm 'EFFICIENT'. I believe both are given in positive contexts.

For a moment, I thought they both refer to the same thing. Both are attractive qualities and flattering as well. But if they really are the same, then why bestow us with different labels?

I asked my girlfriend the same question, and she said they're different. Being ON or 'on the ball' can mean to be seen as having initiative, being in the heat of things, including making (sometimes empty) promises to everybody. Whereas being efficient means delivering results (often quickly) and reliable. So if she's an employer, she would value an efficient employee more than an 'on' employee. Results matter more. But of course an efficient and 'on' employee will top the list.

I did some self-reflection about these two labels. Am I too 'off'? Do I lack initiative? Perhaps I am, or am I just plain 'selective'? After all, I do not want to overload myself too much such that it affects my commitments to my other projects. But at least I deliver when requested, as fast as I can so that I can strike things off my To-Do-List.

So which is your label? Will you want to be called ON or EFFICIENT? And if you are an employer, which type of employee will you prefer?

No comments:

Post a Comment