Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Death Sure Knows When

Had gone to attend the wake of a HOD's mother today. From what I heard, she was an active and cheerful 50+ year old lady who was always ready to help others and constantly in the company of people. However, her weak heart caved in two days ago, during a two-hour 'break' when she was alone at home. As a result, first aid came too late. Way too late.

Death sure knows when to strike.

So far, this was like my 5th or 6th wake visit in my whole life, with the first being my grandfather's when I was in P5. A heartbreaking experience... endless chant rituals... adults crying... casket burning... you name it.

I'm not an 'expert' wake visitor, hence I always find it tough to interact with the bereaved. What if I say the wrong things? They are already upset enough and the last thing I would want to do is to cause further distress. Just like any other wakes, I gave my (silent) support with my physical presence, leaving my colleagues to deliver the verbal 'rites', followed by my sincere 'take care' wish.


Just what do you expect your friends to say to you if you are the bereaved? Do you want your friends to see how you cave in to the sorrows of Life, or to see the emotional side of you, or do you just want the 'white gold'? Will you still be in a state to 'entertain' visitors?

*Touch wood* if its me, I'll prefer just a handwritten condolences card with more than a sentence. Something that will remind me of their support and hopefully be able to last the test of time. :"

No comments:

Post a Comment