Friday, March 16, 2007

Danger at Safety Park

Had been a while since I last blogged about school stuffs and this time its about a misadventure. Sigh...

The P5 level were out to the East Coast Road Safety Park last Thursday. What that was supposed to be a fun-filled afternoon became a nightmare for one of my pupils and myself.

It happened during the break time where pupils were hanging around the canteen and playground area. One of my boys, K was standing at the wrong place at the wrong time when 3 other pupils who were playing catching bumped into him accidentally. The result, K fell and had a badly twisted right forearm (and it is his writing hand). Yes, it was the first time that my naked eyes knew what a real (luckily it was not protruding) fracture look like.

As expected, K came to me with his broken arm and began to wail when he heard my fellow colleagues mumbling the words 'fracture' and 'ambulance'. I rendered first aid before calling his dad while one colleague helped to call the paramedics.

What that followed were the heart wrenching sight of tears of an 11 year old, the anguish of a father and the silent sobbing of a mother. I was with both parents at the KK hospital. K needed to be put on GA before the specialist can 'pull' things back to place. Yup, it was a nasty fracture. The ulna snapped, piercing downwards to the radius, causing the arm to be distorted to a hideous figure "2".

Thankfully both parents were understanding adults who knew very well that accidents cannot be prevented totally. Luckily for K, the doctor advised that his right hand would have to be in cast for a few months and the bone should heal back on its own. Phew!

Next comes all the forms and reports that the form teacher needs to be done up.

I was pretty upset by the whole saga. It was really heart wrenching to see the parents tearing on hearing the painful cries of a young boy. K is a good boy, one of the more matured and responsible boys in my class. It's just so unfair that he has to go through all these and the worst part is, it's not his fault at all! I felt like tearing those three boys into pieces. But again, it was not intentional.

I related the whole incident to the class the very next day and was almost close to tears as I described what happened at the hospital. I was very upset, so was the class then, being their first time seeing their form teacher getting so emotional.

Sigh, term 2 is beginning. Another straight ten weeks of 'chionging'.

No comments:

Post a Comment