Wednesday, June 15, 2011

'Driving' my career

I know I am a 'good' driver who knows my stuff and what I'm doing when I'm behind the wheel. People up there do see the potential in me and kept 'reminding' me how 'good' I am. But they think they know me better than I do. Isn't it ridiculous?


Nonetheless, I have been promoted quite quickly and in a short span of 5 years, I've reached the 'pinnacle' of my position and to my peers, I am considered a 'high flyer'. Management tells me I have to make a decision to pick up speed further and join them up there.

I'm not afraid, but am uncomfortable with heights. I enjoy the drive and when I'm on the roads, I'm usually hovering below the legally allowed speed limit. On a 90km/h highway, I would be on 80km/h. On the normal roads with a cap of 60km/h, my average sped would be at most a 'humble' 70km/h. I'm not comfortable with driving at fast speeds. The faster you go and touch wood, in the event of a collision, the harder you crash.

I love driving and would like to enjoy the scenery during a drive. However, the people up there think that I should be at least on 100km/h. They say my car can go faster and my driving potential is there.

But that is not what I want for myself. Organisational needs has always prevail over personal needs and on this issue, I've been quite stubborn with them. It is your choice to promote me, not mine. So if there's a need for you to justify to the higher echelon on my promotions, well then that's your 'friggin' problem!

I'm fine with just 75km/h. Just hear my engine's purr and admire my machine and 'feats'.

No comments:

Post a Comment