Sunday, August 03, 2008

Lego Mindstorms NXT

Yesterday, I was at the Science Centre attending a 7-hr NJRC Workshop for Teachers. The objective of the workshop is to familiarise teachers with the Lego Mindstorms NXT, aka Lego Robotics. As I'm from this CCA in school, I got sort of volunteered to attend, along with 2 other CCA colleagues.

Initially, I was quite reluctant as it burnt my Saturday. I wasn't very keen on Robotics as well but since its gonna be ($62 per individual) sponsored by the school, what the heck then.

To my surprise, it is actually quite interesting and amazing what this robot can do! It has heat, light, touch and ultrasonic sensors. Combined with the GUI programming language, this robot can do many things! It really is an interesting toy to have and it does complement the subjects of Mathematics and Science. So much better than the older version - the RCX.


After the course, I was quite tempted to get myself a set. However it would also mean setting myself back by $450! No way man. Maybe when I have kids, I'll consider getting one for them to indulge in.

No comments:

Post a Comment